When we first heard about this debate it seemed like there was an obviously correct side- what kind of person would leave their poor pet alone for the holidays right?… But then again what kind of person would stuff their dog in a crate for a flight?
This is definitely a hot issue and each side has pro’s and con’s.
Taking your dog with you:
- They are part of the family and everyone should be together
- Separation anxiety when they are not with you
- You know they are going to be taken care of
- Travel is not a great experience for dogs- especially if it involves planes/ long trips
- Taking them to someone else’s house can be a burden
- Being surrounded by lots of new people can cause anxiety and over excitement
Leaving your dog behind:
- Let’s be honest… more freedom
- Easier travel and not burdening family members
- Less planning and packing of dog supplies
- Where to leave them is always an issue. With friends? With a dog sitter? Boarding? You need to have an option you trust
- Can be a very expensive option
What do you think? How do you make these decisions?